Today’s guest blot is from Emily Parks, my colleague and friend. You can fine out more information about her & her company, Organize for Success here: http://www.organizeforsuccess.biz
She will be teaching a class on Evernote Basics on March 7th (http://bit.ly/Org4SuccessEvernote1) and Advanced Techniques on March 21st (http://bit.ly/Org4SuccessEvernoteAdvanced ) I have learned much in her classes and she is my go to person for technology!
So you’ve heard about this amazing tool to help you “remember everything”, but you’re simply not sure how it could really impact your life? Well, there are a plethora of features that make using Evernote truly awesome for entrepreneurs, C-level executives, busy professionals, small business managers and the like. Here are just a few examples of its amazing features:
1. While the most basic note in your Evernote database will consist merely of only typed text, each note can be much more complex, having options for including stored documents, recorded audio or video, captured photographs, web clippings and tasks with reminders. Solely your creativity can limit your options for notes to be included in your database.
2. Evernote users can create an unlimited number of notebooks in which to organize their notes, containing an unlimited number of notes in each notebook. Then, notebooks can be combined into what’s known as stacked notebooks, providing limitless options for organizing all of one’s saved content.
3. Tags allow one more level of filtering to find exactly what you need when you need that specific information. While no note requires a tag, such categories can be helpful when grouping notes from different notebooks or if you’ll be searching for a note by a term not included in that note’s contents.
4. Speaking of searching for any given note, it is Evernote’s searchcapabilities that truly separate this tool from its competition. The search feature combs through not only notes’ titles and the notebooks’ names in which those notes are stored, but it also seeks a match in all typed or photographed text in each note’s body as well as in any associated tags or URLs from which content was clipped.
5. Sharing notebooks supports collaboration as users can manage projects with team members in different places or communicate information with clients while not working in a face-to-face or side-by-side scenario.
6. Likewise, users are able to share individual notes via a link on Facebook, a link on Twitter, in an email or saved as a URL copied to a computer’s clipboard.
7. Evernote offers a multitude of methods for creating notes… Every account is assigned its own email address, and each email sent to it creates a new note. Content can be clipped from various different web browsers as each clipping creates a new note. And content tweeted to @myEN subsequently creates a note, too.
8. As one’s database grows, the convenience of easily editing notes’ content allows each user’s Evernote account to evolve with that individual’s needs.
9. To enhance the ease of editing, Evernote added the Skitch feature so users can add annotations to any notes that contain images, which includes options for arrows, stamps, text, shape overlays, highlighting and more.
10. Furthermore, users are able to merge social media connections and related notes based off any interactions with those individuals in scans of business cards or manually uploaded contacts via Evernote’s acquisition of Hello.
11. As reminders can be attached to each note, including an alert based off any specified date and time, Evernote allows for task and project management.
12. Evernote’s ubiquity empowers users with the capacity of accessing the same information everywhere at the same time as it syncs “real time” between all devices on which the user has included the tool.
13. Via its “trunk”, Evernote integrates with TONS of different partners.
14. Based off its desire to be “the permanent, trusted and ubiquitous place for all memories”, Evernote holds fast to three rules: your date is yours, your data is protected and your data is portable.
15. While there are enhancements available for a small fee in the Premium version or for enterprise users in the Business version, most functionality offered by Evernote is included for free, which might be the best feature of all.
People often ask me if I am organized. I say I am, but I am not perfect. One, it’s impossible! Secondly, it’s no fun. If a client is looking for Martha Stewart, I tell them I am not their woman. If there was a fire in my home I could get my important papers and be out of the house in a second. If a client calls I can get their file immediately. I know what’s in my closet so I don’t make duplicate purchases. When I come home I feel at peace because my everything is orderly and I can enjoy things that I truly cherish, such as paintings.
Here is my mission & vision for myself & clients:
Mission: to compassionately transform lives through education & customized plans that create productive & sustainable environments.
Vision: a more sustainable world created through peaceful, joyful, inspirational, organized spaces for living and work.
Remember that organizing isn’t about perfection. It’s about being able to find what you need and saving time and money and enjoying life!
Can’t find things? Paperwork out of control? Overwhelmed? Frustrated? Afraid to let go because you “might need it someday?” Don’t know where to begin?
Welcome to Conscious Order—a unique approach to clear clutter from your mind, your home, your office, and your life.
Learn how to identify and clear out the clutter in your mind. Then it will be easier to clear out the clutter in your home, your office, and your life.
For more info about Annie: http://www.consciousorder.com/
Watch the interview here:
Here are some suggestions for an earth friendly, people friendly, doing just about good for everyone gifts. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Conflict Free Jewelry: http://www.brilliantearth.com
You can send beautiful gifts and support the environment with a wide assortment of earth friendly gourmet, fruit, spa and rainforest green gifts and baskets. http://www.ecoexpress.com/
Organic flowers: http://www.organicbouquet.com/
Organic chocolate: http://www.shamanchocolates.com/
Gift of hope for someone else: http://www.sustainableharvest.org/
In what small way can you make a difference and still spread the love?
In my clip about why I do professional organizing in the Raleigh area, I share some statistics on the cost of disorganization.
What is being disorganized costing you?
Paperwork solutions to get organized for the school year:
This was a guest post for Geralin Thomas of Metropolitan Organizing, originally published on January 6th. http://metropolitanorganizing.com/mindfullness/being-present-living/
Reawaken Your Brilliance host Julie Seibert Coraccio announced the February 4th Reawaken You! body, mind & spirit online workshop will be on Conscious Parenting and how to raise happy, healthy children.
Julie Seibert Coraccio states, “How we respond and react to life is determined by patterns created in early childhood. What does it mean to be a conscious parent? How can you engage and connect with your child thorough emotional & spiritual intelligence? How can an integrative health program keep your child at their optimum health? This workshop will present you with tools to raise your child to develop to their healthiest, happiest and strongest potential.”
This body, mind and spirit online class will be on Tuesday, February 4th beginning at 7 PM EST. This online workshop features: Sofia Torres who has been consciously parenting her 9 year old; Kathy Zant, a writer, entrepreneur & mother of two intuitive children, living in Mount Shasta, California; and intuitive/spiritual guide and healing facilitator/instructor (and a mother of two teen-aged daughters!) Angela Coulter Beyer. This online workshop:
· 3 CONSCIOUS PARENTS & NATIONALLY KNOWN experts
· SEE (not just hear) from the comfort of your home/office
· INTERACT Ask, chat or Skype a question to our experts
· LEARN three different perspectives on how to Consciously Parent
· HOW TO’s & EASY TOOLS to assist you on your journey
Join three authentic experts, who have helped thousands change their lives and on their personal journeys by teaching them how they can consciously raise their children. During this interactive class, discover easy, life changing, tools on how you can increase your awareness and find joy in your life.
You can also view almost 100 FREE interviews on Reawaken Your Brilliance—with people you’ll want to hear from: Bruce Lipton, the Fly Lady, Peter Walsh, Sunny Dawn Johnston & many more!
For more information and to register for the event, please visit: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-to-consciously-parent-tickets-7986873955
Seibert Coraccio created the Reawaken You! series because she wanted to create personal development events to allow for people to have a more interactive experience. “I have been fortunate enough to interviewed amazing body, mind and spirit practioners; I wanted to create personal development workshops where people could learn more in depth about a topic and make real changes to their lives while increasing their awareness ”
Julie Coraccio’s Reawaken Your Brilliance Reawaken You! series is sponsored by Delta Force Technologies. http://www.deltaforce.net/
Julie Coraccio can be reached at 919-559-3925 or Julie@reawakenyourbrilliance.com
About Reawaken Your Brilliance Reawaken You! Series
The Reawaken You! Series provides quality body, mind & spirit online and live streaming events and workshops as well as local events in Raleigh, North Carolina. All panel members are personally selected for quality, ethics, education value and speaking skills. Panelists range in a variety of Healing & Alternative therapies for spiritual development. You will come away with tools for self-help, personal growth and personal development to help you on your journey to a healthier and happier you.
About Reawaken Your Brilliance
Reawaken Your Brilliance is a free weekly internet TV and radio show based in Raleigh, NC, that airs Wednesdays 9-10 PM EST. The internet TV and spiritual radio show features body, mind and spirit experts who show you alternatives for personal growth and spiritual development. Host Julie Seibert talks with a variety of personal development experts. Guests include The Fly Lady, Peter Walsh, Dr. Bruce Lipton, Vincent Genna and Angela Beyer Coulter.
How will you reawaken your brilliance this year?
What steps do you need to take? Remember, it’s okay to ask for assistance. I have struggled with my weight and emotional eating. I am starting off the year with a cleanse and working with some experts on nutrition. I have a big motivation to get healthy and I realized I needed assistance as it wasn’t my area of expertise. Whether it is a coach, personal trainer, alternative medicine practitioner or a book find what works for you to get you going and keep you motivated.
What area are you working on this year?
I am a guest blogger for Geralin Thomas of Metropolitan Organizing. This post was first published there on December 20th.
Just Because You Want to Enjoy the Season
No matter if you celebrate Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanza or Winter Solstice, you more than likely have been a victim to this.
For example, you have Turkey for Christmas dinner just because that is what your family did growing up. However, you want to start a new tradition of cooking Italian, but feel guilty that you are letting a family tradition go.
You have to buy gifts for everyone in your extended family just because that is how it has always been done, but spending money you don’t have leaves you stressed out and in debt and you’re not sure anyone likes or needs the gifts you buy.
Aunt Maple will be upset if you don’t have a slice of her world famous triple chocolate pumpkin pie just because she slaved all day in the kitchen, but you are committed to eating healthier and not going completely overboard.
You really want to slow down and savor the season but just because you have always gone to your neighbor’s open house you feel obligated despite the fact that they leave you exhausted and drained.
Let’s examine some statistics around this time of the year:
Here are some areas that I see my clients get overwhelmed and some possible solutions. Remember, these scenarios (and the ones above) are a form of emotional and spiritual clutter!
There’s Always One Person that creates drama, sucks the joy out of everything or causes disturbances.
Solutions: Someone talks with them and explains their behavior will not be tolerated and they will be asked to leave. Assign the person with the most patience to keep an eye out for them to keep them out of trouble. Do not invite them or attend an event where they will be. Spend time with people who nourish you and fill your soul.
Buying More Than You Can Afford and waking up in January with a credit hangover or a diminished bank account.
Solutions: Discuss with family & friends. Many probably feel same way and will be relieved you suggested! In my family, the generation above gives the generation below. My brothers and I no longer exchange gifts. Some big families pick one person to give a gift to. Why not make this year a ReGift theme and let go of something you don’t want that would bring someone else joy?
Remember, if someone cares that much about how much you spend or the gift is really important is it really someone you want to be friends? Don’t forget to keep a running budget so you don’t overspend.
Another item to dust that really isn’t your style or taste, but you don’t want to offend the gift giver.
Solutions: Buy experiences: concert tickets, plays, a trip. Donate to a charity the gift recipient would love. Give memberships to a gym or club. Make your own: knit, put together ingredients for soup or a cake. Offer your babysitting or culinary services. This year, my “big” gift (a little early!) was Sweet Pea, a cat we rescued from Calvin’s Paws (http://www.calvinspaws.com) a cat & dog rescue, adoption and education organization in Raleigh, NC.
Overindulging & overextending yourself in eating, entertaining & festivities and regretting it before, during and after!
Solutions: This is a great time to start a self-care routine if you don’t have one already. Find a buddy that can help you stick to moderation. Say NO! to what you don’t want to do. Have a potluck instead of an elaborate party. Volunteer at a Soup Kitchen or a charity. Go out to eat to concentrate on family and friends.
Do something YOU Want! instead of being sucked into pressure or guilt. The holidays are about connecting, celebrating, gratitude and your religious or spiritual beliefs, not about Black Friday deals, feeling overwhelmed and running around like crazy.
EXERCISE: Make a list of what you have liked about the holidays in the past and what you didn’t like. Also include something that you think you might enjoy doing.
TAKE ACTION ITEM: Where can you eliminate a “just because”?
EXTRA CREDIT: Examine another area in your life where you do something “just because”. For example, you are friends with someone who always takes from you, and never gives back, just because you’ve been friends for 20 years. Is there another “just because” you can let go of?
Like many things in life, this is a process. Celebrate where you are able to make changes and commit to making more changes in the future!
Wishing you and yours an incredible season filled with much love, happiness and joy! May all your dreams come true in 2014~